Friday, September 24, 2010

Farewell to an Old Friend ...

... that's been with me pretty much since I started "having a go" at this photography lark just over three years ago. It's been rained on no end of times; it's been to Wembley (and plenty of other less salubrious places as well !); it was even left under a pub ("John O'Gaunt") table in Lancaster for over an hour before its owner remembered about it; it's "bottom end" gave up the ghost a while back and was never replaced; and now, the top locking mechanism has "just had it" (it keeps "slipping down" at inopportune moments - ooo-errr!) and no end of gentle tightening can sort it out. It has pretty much ceased to be - it's expired and gone to meet its maker - bereft of life - it is an ex-monopod.

So it's time to say "Goodbye" to the Manfrotto 679B and, thanks to some overtime this week, it's "Hello" to a Giottos 3270B. Apart from the fact that it folds up a couple of inches smaller, one big bonus with this newbie is that, fully extended, it's about 3 inches taller than the old one - so it's a "healthy option" for my back as well ! I give you "Something Old (left) Something New (right)" ...




First outing - tomorrow at Bower Fold for the Stalybridge Celtic v Alfreton Town FA Cup tie ... until then I shall enjoy the rest of my "day off" (so far - bought monopod, bought theatre tickets - Doctor Faustus at Royal Exchange next Thursday - sorted out washing (pots and clothes), ironed work shirts and trousers - plenty of other stuff to do if I put my mind to it !) before taking Mrs Smiffy down to Stockport Bus Station this afternoon to catch bus to Belper. In work early tomorrow - so hopefully might catch Wozza and the rest of the Alfreton crew at Stalybridge Buffet Bar before the game.

Good to see - Glossop beating Blackstones in the FA Vase on Wednesday night (with a little help from Mossley "loanee" Anthony Dorney); and also Mossley Youth beating Northwich Vics Youth in the FA Youth Cup on Thursday night. Fingers will be suitably crossed for Mossley's trip to Dunston UTS in the FA Cup - aiming to get one step nearer a "big club", plus £4,500 in the bank.

Now - off to do something else ...
.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

very disappointed with your choice smiffy. Six Tame Sides and yet you pass up the opportunity to see two of them go head to head and go to Bowel Fold instead. tut tut

Mike Smith said...

OK - here's the problem - I work on Saturdays, and dependent on the load (bloody junk mail etc), I "should" finish about 1300hrs. I then have to get back to Mossley from Oldham by bus, which often sees me not back home until gone two o'clock. Eat, change and then public transport to ...wherever I can given the time. If anything, the Ashton United or Curzon Ashton options tomorrow would be even easier ... but there you go. As it stands, the only team of the six I haven't seen yet this season is Curzon Ashton.

Now if it had been NEXT weekend (when Saturday is my day off), life would have been much easier - but I only get one Saturday in six.

(Plus I've got a note from my Mum)