Sunday, November 26, 2006

Droylsden v Rushall Olympic

Another shambolic day in the life of public transport – but hey we got through – and got some football – so I’ll leave the “Rail rant” for now !!.

Got the call (via the web) that the Mossley game was off after last night’s downpour (hey I was in Longsight eating a massive roast beef dinner at a friends house – so I missed it all !!) - the alternative being touted was Curzon Ashton v Atherton LR – thought to myself – hey I fancy Glossop v Curzon next Tuesday – so it was FA Trophy time at Droylsden v Rushall Olympic.

Being a weekend of course there’s no trains from Mossley towards Manchester – a job that British Rail would have completed over one weekend now stretches into its fifth weekend. Got to Ashton (via Stalybridge Buffet Bar – natch – full of railway workers ordering sausage and egg butties instead of getting the bloody work done !)) OK. Now I’m not so good on buses (ask me a train time – no sweat – but buses – no) – and I had to find a dispensing pharmacy on the way as well to feed my drug habit (salbutamol !)

Arrived at Droylsden at about 1510 after a stop at “Boots the Chemist” – still 0-0. It was a fairly “nothing” sort of game – up one end, down t’other with nothing really outstanding happening – I could have said fairly even, but I’m sticking with “nothing”!




Early attack for Droylsden


Rained here too apparently - in one spot only !!

Then just before half-time Droylsden were awarded a penalty – OK he fell over but ….hmmm. Fearns duly despatched for 1-0, and there was still a chance for another before the whistle went – not taken mind.


Fearns makes it 1-0 from "dodgy pen" !!

Into the club at half-time for a pint and a warm – strange that most people hung around the door with their eyes on the telly (miles away) – leaving loads of room up at the bar !

Second half saw Droylsden double their lead after a comedy of errors in the Rushall defence left an open goal, duly taken . This seemed to turn the Rushall number 4 (captain Richard Brown) into “total loony” mode – nothing dirty mind, just full on 100% gob, gob and more gob.

And then it started raining – just like last night apparently – but there was still time for a third as a cracking through ball put Steve Daly clear and he made no mistake. Final score 3-0 - well deserved in the end. Once that first goal had gone in, Rushall seemed to lose most of the fight they’d displayed in the first 40 minutes

It was actually a game of “many natters” as well – in the first half I met Duncan Bayley, the Unibond supremo who told me that today he had his “FA Trophy hat” on. Known Duncan from my early days at Mossley back in the mid-80s – we discussed the “new” Unibond Division to be (needs FA ratification mind) and the state of Mossley AFC (I now know what needs to be done re ground grading at Seel Park – i.e. not much !!). Towards the end of the game I met Tony Cunningham – another name from the Mossley past (i.e. the mid 80s), now firmly behind Ramsbottom United – their game was off – he’d thought about the Mossley game – that one off too – so ended up at the Butchers Arms – and for those who remember young Phil (not so young now of course !), he’s over in Wales with his Mum watching the likes of Airbus UK and Chester City. And finally I met “Carlf” – the Droylsden snapper – who looks nowt like his avatar (because that is actually someone completely different !!)




Rushall go home... to "concentrate on the league"

Other results today leave me spoilt for choice now on Tuesday - either Glossop v Curzon or Stalybridge v Gainsborough in the Trophy replay - and of course the Celtic option does mean no driving and a chance of the odd beer in Buffet Bar / Hare & Hounds !! We'll see how I feel...

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Rushall seemed to have a very nice strip

Mike Smith said...

More Dutch than "south Fleetwood" I reckoned !!

carlf said...

I feel almost famous now that my name has appeared in your blog. Keep up the great work - don't ever stop!