Sunday, June 22, 2008

We've been Away ....

Starting to sound like a regular weekend thingy (and just to prove it WILL continue - next weekend - sister-in-law's birthday bash ... in Oakham). But this weekend - Alton Towers - Me, Mrs Smiffy, small boy (hair rescued - back to red for now !!) and his mate Chloe - off for a one night/two day jobbie @ Alton Towers. You get the night in't'hotel and passes for the theme park and the Cariba Creek waterthingy as well (and when you sit and dissect the whole thing - it's pretty good value for money - honest !). So Saturday - in waterthingy - I hate water - I hate waterslides - mostly due to the lack of vision when glasses are left in locker - however maybe - just maybe - I'm become resigned to this stuff, so I went on the three water slidey things - the "Master Blaster" was surprisingly OK (so much in fact that I "did it again" this afternoon !!). Sunday - the "youngsters" went straight into the big place, while me and Mrs Smiffy jumped in car and went a couple of miles down the road to Dimmings Dale and took in a 4/5 mile walk - a little different to




what we're normally used to - it was nice to see fields with mixed wild flowers -



some different views on water - millponds etc - and to finish with a "nice cup of tea"
at the "Ramblers Retreat" next to the Dimmings Dale Car Park. (Note the shark is actually from "Mutiny Bay" in Alton Towers and NOT from any of the ponds/water around Dimmings Dale !)



We then went "back into the fray" - now I don't like roller coasters - mostly due to the lack of vision when glasses are put into pocket - however maybe - just maybe - I'm becoming resigned to this stuff (as well), so (as we've not been to AT for about 5 years) I said, "Rita, Queen of Speed", i.e. the one that takes you from 0-100mph in 2.5 seconds (it's all done with magnets I believe) - now that was some ride - I used to do these sort of things to keep the kids happy - maybe now ("sans kids") I can do them 'for me' (and also of course for Mrs Smiffy, who is a roller coaster afficianado - easier to say "No" to kids !!!) - so "Rita - Queen of Speed" - this year's recommended roller coaster in the UK - and here it is getting up to speed (picture taken by me - in queue - thinking "Why do I ...??!?"



Home this evening - flitted between Spain/Italy and "Kinky Boots" (2 tv family y'see !!).What was I saying the other night about the "knock-out" phase - I forgot Italy were still involved - can't always "penalty-shoot-out" your way to success eh what ??

Some pictures from today before I start thinking about the general meeting at work tomorrow afternoon ref pensions - it looks as though "I'm in the chair" - as no-one else seems to want to take action or become the "focus of anything" - I just feel (from most feedback received) that people are resigned to their fate - now if only all these 102 "pension people" were in the Union rather than just 22 of us - that would be 50% of the full-time staff - ergo "clout" - but no - as a Union member since I left school, that is one thing that REALLY pisses me off - of course we all know whose fault it is - Margaret "bloody" Thatcher - now maybe it is a horribe thing to say, but between 1977 and 1990 she had so much effect on my life - in a totally negative way - and so much effect on this country as a whole - in a totally negative way - that I for one will be declaring the day that she departs this mortal coil a national holiday.... and I'm damn sure I'm not the only one who feels this way.

Anyways - nearly midnight thirty - so I best be getting head etc together ...........

No comments: