Sunday, November 24, 2013

Stalybridge Celtic v Worcester City

"Have I left the gas on ??"

 As Christmas looms ... it's starting to get tricky on Saturdays with regard to finishing work at a reasonable time in order to dash home etc etc and then dash out to football.  No car either yesterday to whizz me home at speed - fortunately just managed to catch the 1350 train from Greenfield (next one would have been one hour later !), dash home etc etc and dash out again (having first checked on tellyweb ref postponements) - was hoping to go to Ashton United v Stocksbridge Park Steels but a frozen pitch put paid to that option.

So - to Bower Fold so see if Celtic could get a fourth successive home victory under their belt against lowly Worcester City.  However ... the visitors belied their lowly status and caught Celtic cold in the first minute - ouch !!  The visitors looked far more dangerous in the first 45 with the Celtic defence creaking alarmingly at times, although Celtic did hit the post right on half-time.

Things improved after the break - a couple of subs on just after the hour made a difference up front - but for all the possession Celtic were unable to find that elusive equaliser ... until 10 minutes from time when Obi Anoruo was felled in the box and Kristian Platt converted the penalty.  With time ticking away, it looked like a point rescued - until a comic-cuts winner came for the visitors with Celtic 'keeper Urwin colliding with his own player and the ball dropping to Daniel Nti two yards out - who couldn't miss !  A defeat snatched from the jaw of a draw ...  some pictures at

Stalybridge Celtic 1 Worcester City 2

Unlucky in the end ?? Possibly - although Worcester could have been out of sight at half-time but for some good work by Urwin and some profligacy (lovely word !) by the Worcester attack.  Rather than saying Celtic were poor (which the inevitable pessimists are doing), I'd rather say that Worcester City look to be in a very false position.  We shall see ...

Elsewhere - Hyde took the lead at home to Alfreton - and lost 1-2 (getting a bit habit-forming this !!);  Droylsden went down 0-3 at Worksop; Curzon Ashton continued their impressive unbeaten run with a 3-1 win over Kendal Town; and Mossley matched league leaders Warrington Town for much of the game before going down 2-3 ...

Checking out the "Non League Paper", midweek is looking a touch spartan for football round here ... Droylsden host FC United on Tuesday night - but I don't fancy getting shown up by the pro-snappers that the visitors bring along (!!!). Maybe a short trip out of the area on Tuesday night (Manchester Premier Cup Quarter-Final twixt Glossop NE and Trafford - haven't been to Surrey Street for ages !).  We shall see ...

No comments: