Wednesday, May 09, 2007

Football for Saturday

Right - all sorted for Saturday - it's a Manchester League relegation battle betwixt Dukinfield Town and Rochdale SH (that's Sacred Heart for the "dunnos"). A relegation battle only for Duki Town by the way - it's perm one from three between Dukinfield Town, Breightmet and Monton Amateurs to join AVRO for the drop - so only a win is good enough for Duki - the match will be followed by a barbie (indoors or outdoors, weather permitting), for me and Mrs Smiffy and friends - strangely enough in Rochdale - well Whitworth - near enough ..

Now here comes the kick in the teeth - yesterday I promised myself - and someone else - I'd be there for the Duki Town match - in fact I've even given it a plug on all the local message boards. What happens tonight ? A mate from outside the local area rings up with that immortal line "Fancy a freebie to the FA Trophy Final at 'New Wembley' on Saturday ?? if you can get to mine, transport will be sorted ??"

Ouch... what would you do....call me stupid - most folks do - but I had to turn down the Trophy offer - admittedly with mucho regreto. being honest, if Curzon Ashton had planted 6 past Truro City, me and half of Tameside would have been at "New Wembley" on the Sunday for the FA Vase Final - but they didn't so we won't.

And I won't be there Saturday either ..... "come on Duki !!"

No comments: