Wednesday, May 02, 2007

Tonight's Big Game

Yes, I am talking about the Stockport Senior Cup Final between Woodley Sports Reserves (Woodley for the rest of the post) and Cheadle Heath Nomads (Linotype), (CHN for the rest of the post) which took place at Edgeley Park tonight.

My clock says 2355 - I need to be up at 0630 - this may be short !!

Suffice to say Woodley won 2-1 in a less than gripping game (sorry guys !). Nomads employed a ruthless offside trap for well over 90 minutes - unfortunately offside traps do not win games. At half-time (0-0) there was a mention of "pub team" directed at CHN - which turned out to be rather unfair as they took the lead when a free kick was met with a cracking header by (....sorry...). This did serve as a wake up call for Woodley who then proceeded to score two in five minutes !

Towards the end there was a little inexperience in "running the clock down" - and credir to CHN they really put the pressure on towards the end, which was unnerving the Woodley fans/officials that I was adjacent to !


End of the day - the best team won - I've always had a great deal of respect for Woodley Sports the Unibond 1 team - these guys tonight must (should) be training with the first team (I may be wrong !!) -well done to Neil Rourke (Manager) and his squad tonight.


First time I've been at Edgeley Park since 1973 (?) - when they drew with Stafford Rangers in the FA Cup 1st Round - (old age kicking in) I missed the replay at Stafford as we had a school play rehearsal that night - someone may remember the play - it could have been "Maria Marten and the Murder in the Red Barn" (I was a copper in that - Pharos Lee) - or it might have been the Joan of Arc one ("The Lark") where I played Beauchamp Earl of Warwick. Oh yes - Stafford won 1-0 - and then embarked on their best ever FA Cup run,losing to Peterborough in front of 21,000+ at Stoke's old ground - don't talk to me about Rotherham away !!!
Enough of this reminisk - remiscic - rmeniisck - looking back - here's one pic for starters (there's 158 of the b*st*rds - and that's with me "editing" on the trains home (all 3 of em) ....it's got "b*ll*x to United/Milan" written all over it - in blood as well...





trust me there's more to come.- and I will put that CD together with all the ones that pass muster for me..
The cup winners (I'm sure I could have blagged my way a touch closer - but rumour is you need a "Nikon" camera strap to do all the blagging in the sports photo area/arenas !!)
..hope mum/dad don't mind - any probs let me know ... twas the ball size vs head size that made me click !!
Yeah yeah - I'll sort the action pix as well - will tomorrow (Thursday) night do ???

No comments: