Saturday, December 18, 2010

Unusual Saturday ...

... for a football man !

Yes, work this morning was somewhat "sporting" to say the least - but even before I went out of the door, I noticed on the news ticker-tape on the "biggish TV screen" in the Delivery Office (which shows such jolly things as "Always wear your ID" and "How to Cope with 'low down' letter boxes (H&S)" that Captain Beefheart had died aged 69 - a year or two before my time, but we've a copy of "Trout Mask Replica" somewhere (weird to say the least) - mentioned this to a couple of guys at work - the reply was "Who ?" (I tend to forget age and stuff at times !!). Anyhow, out into the snow-bound wastes of Oldham - it was fun (not !) - tried out the snow chains in earnest, and was not too impressed (they seemed to "ride up" around the heel and all grip was lost at times) - kept a dry backside though, and went back to the 'spikeys' (even though I've lost one spike out of six on each foot). Went slightly over my time - but what can you expect in this sort of weather ?




'Spikeys', the Magnum Boots and the snow chains - the 'spikeys' get the vote !

All thoughts of football pretty much went out of the window at about midnight last night when I saw the falling snow - the Belper Town option had actually disappeared earlier in the day (Friday), when I was asked if I could 'do a bit' (as in 6 hours overtime) on Sunday - couldn't really refuse, as it looks like it's actually 6 hours 'indoors' sorting packets etc for the vans - whatever I end up doing, it'll certainly be something new/different. When I got home today, I double-checked the Evo-Stik website, the Football Conference website and the Vodkat League website - it was total wipeout, so thoughts went to TV Football again - until I found out that the weather had even decimated the Premiership !

So - a relaxing afternoon before nipping out for a couple (after finalising Mrs Smiffy's Christmas pressies !!) - and here's (hopefully) a really sad video of a flashing light ...




... now going to do some wrapping up in front of the telly - whilst watching a birthday present DVD from our Michelle ("Dig !" - a 'rockumentary' about the Dandy Warhols and the Brian Jonestown Massacre - that's two bands, NOT one band and one nasty incident !!!). Then - maybe - an early-ish night ...
.

No comments: