Sunday, December 10, 2006

Mossley don't rock (Mossley v Frickley Athletic)

After the “high” of DragonForce on Friday night it was back to the perceived “low” of Mossley today, at home against a Frickley side who were “on a roll” and climbing the table as rapidly as the Lilywhites were plummeting….

However – it was Mossley, sporting smart new white socks, who started the game the brighter. Some good work by Chris Ward in the first few minutes, a few borderline offside decisions – this was not the team that capitulated at Matlock 7 days earlier.

Offside again !! Peter Wright

And then ……aargh !! On 23 minutes, new boy Jonathon Smith made what can only be described as a “rash challenge” on the edge of the box – result – penalty – dutifully tucked away by Paul Palmer. After 23 minutes of Mossley pressure, first shot – 0-1 down. Five minutes later it was “comedy of errors” time, when a clearance from Mossley player #1 rebounded off Mossley player #2 and into the path of Frickley player #3. “Merci beaucoup” as they say in South Elmshall – second shot on goal – and Ward made it 2-0 to Frickley.

"Cooke in the book" - Christian gets a yellow.

Frickley weren’t brilliant – but they played the ball to feet and used the full width of the field, whereas Mossley were playing far too narrow and too much on the right-hand side (poor old David Eyres was cutting a lonely figure out wide on the left – “waiting for Godot” ? waiting for anything…). Two nil down at half-time – and into the club for some respite from the rather cold weather for my bloody finger. Five weeks on from the accident, it’s still twice the size of its left handed twin, and it hurts like hell when it gets a bit of cold weather on it / in it – I feel a trip to the doctors coming on…

The second half saw changes – Steve Burke was brought on for the injured Christian Cooke – who’d been booked early on for one tackle and then spent the rest of the first half being assaulted by various Frickley players. Lee Shillito came on for the ineffective Fraser Robinson – and all of a sudden the attack came back to life. With 15 minutes to go, a shot by Peter Wright managed to squirm its way under/through Frickley keeper Jon Hood – and Mossley were back in the game.

"Butterfingers" was the cry - Hood hides head - it's 2-1...

Then we had a moment that somehow passed me by completely – Mossley’s Gary Furnival was sent off - I can only assume it happened during my one and only “toilet break” !! With five minutes left – PENALTY !! (saw that !!). Chris Ward took the responsibility – took his time – too much time – and saw his shot saved low down by Hood. A collective expletive echoed around the ground – and another three points went down the pan.

Chris Ward (far right) prepares for "that penalty"

Things only got worse after the game when the Sky “videprinter” showed that Radcliffe Borough (4 points in front at one minute to three) were now seven clear after a 2-0 against Ashton United (6 in front), and Leek Town (6 behind at one minute to three) were now three behind after an unlikely 5-1 away win at North Ferriby.

And Stafford lost….. And Belper lost …. One other result of note though was the vegetarians of Leicestershire beating the red meat of Bury – and I’ll leave you all to work that one out, because it’s late and I have an appointment at Mossley Railway station at 0837 later today to see (and travel on) the first train to stop at Mossley station on a Sunday for donkey’s years (believe 40) – yes the new railway timetable kicks in today and it includes Sunday stoppers at Mossley – not before time (Geoff Brierley – it’s finally happened !!).

Bet it’s late – or a Rail Replacement Bus ….

No comments: