Sunday, March 11, 2007

Saturday - Total cock up - Part 2 - words

Well what a crappy day was 10th March 2007. It began so well, with a cracking breakfast of bacon, eggs, mushrooms and fried bread – truly a “brown sauce ” event. With small boy having ju-jitsu exam in Liverpool at 1300, I took Mrs Smiffy down to Chorlton Street Bus Station in Manchester to catch the 1100 “TransPeak” down to Belper to see Mum etc – and a evening family nosh at the “Elaichi” Restaurant in Belper (been there – done it – cracking Bangladeshi nosh as well)

Back to Mossley – pick up small boy – and off to Fazakerley for ju-jitsu stuff. We arrived with 30 minutes to spare – the place was unnaturally quiet. At 1255 we asked – we found out that we were actually 7 DAYS and 30 minutes early. Cue “D’oh” in the dojo….it was a solemn drive back home (apart from the Marilyn Manson CD) – and then I get txt from Nosmo (Ilkeston Town) – see pic – I could have been there ….





Back in Mossley at about 1405 – knowing full well that five of the “Six Tame Sides” were playing away – leaving only Mossley at home…..hmmm…wait – Squires Gate were playing their home game against FC United at Curzon Ashton’s ground – there’s still time to make it….NO - my views on the FC United phenomenon are fairly well documented – we’re back to principles once again - although I could have helped out Squires Gate I guess.

A walk down the road – and into the “Britannia” for a beer or three – and a watch of the Scotland/Ireland game. By about 1600 the twitches were well and truly twitching – this can’t go on – so I walked up the hill and into Mossley Park – somewhere where you can watch a Mossley game “over the wall” - (see pix in "Part 1"). I got there about 1620 – just in time for a goal – first shot was saved but Moffat put away the rebound – at that moment I had no idea what the score was – five minutes later Gateshead scored another when Southern walked it round the keeper after the defence went AWOL.

Game over – I nipped into the “Rag” where I knew the “troops” were going to watch the Middlesborough/United game- only to find a good number of them had beat me there. By implication this meant they didn’t bother to go in the Social Club after the game. You can read so much into this can you not ?? Found out that it had finished 4-0 to Gateshead. Bugger.

So United got a draw – but during my time at the “Rag” I got some serious sh*t from some of the Mossley fans – basically saying “Get back you dozy …..” (insert word to suit). They’re right of course – I’ve been comfy over the last seven days reading stuff like this on blog/message board/e-mails – but when a true Mossley fan comes up to you in person and says the same to your face – it means so much more – OK the “two supporters” are now back in the fold through various ways and means – but my particular “spat” remains outstanding – and there is NO WAY I will ever come to terms with what was said to me by the Mossley Vice-Chairman – to me he xxxxxxxxxxx (deleted Sunday a.m.- just in case ....) who happens to have well-off parents – maybe brutal, but that’s it – he’s the one to apologise not I – because I believe I’ve done a damn sight more for that football club without the aid of parental cash than he will EVER do – because it doesn’t always boil down to money – a point that has been totally missed… Incidentally Martin, my missing £7 was more than made up for by the two Hyde United guys who couldn’t make it to Worcester and so went to the Mossley game and appeared in the “Rag” afterwards – bet you guys won’t be back – and I do mean that in the nicest possible way !!


After the United game I meandered home – and I slipped into the Mossley Social Club in full knowledge that all things football/officialdom would have long gone home – had a couple of beers – and got the same “Get back you dozy ….” from a few of the remainders from the game three hours earlier.

What do I do – I go on here praying that Mossley will stay up – praying that Mossley will win – yet the club Vice-Chairman believes my support/cash is unnecessary – and here I am on a blog “bulling up” Mossley Football Club – a blog that has been viewed by best part of 8,000 peeps since last August. There’s always away game I suppose – but the next away game is at Guiseley on 24th which clashes with the Curzon Ashton v Truro City FA Vase Semi First Leg – and I’ve already done Guiseley in the abortive (i.e. we lost) FA Cup game earlier in the season (see blog entry a lot .

What do I do - .I see Leek Town got a point today – for Mossley at the moment there’s no bloody point at all .. when you’ve been watching them as long as I have (albeit only 23 years in case some of the “old boys” chip in !), we’ve been here before (relegation I mean) – although the whole atmosphere was so much better then – we had a crap team and management who gave 100% - and we had the same loyal “band of brothers” watching same – and the whole atmosphere was so much more relaxed and comfortable – chats with players/management were so much easier – WE ALL KNEW WE WERE GIVING OUR ALL. Something that the “Class of 2007” maybe should take note of ..

This whole thing is messing my life up something rotten (something that rich people obviously don’t worry about) – and here I am listening to Muse singing “Invincible” – obviously with Mrs Smiffy being away I can drink more beer – but I’m expected in Belper fairly early tomorrow morning – so we can “do” Froggatt Edge in the afternoon – and a good bloody walk can take your mind off so many things.

What do I do - apart from looking for somewhere to go on Tuesday night ?


5 comments:

SJNR said...

Don't let the something or others grind you down Smiffy!

By theway that thing behind the goal was a goat. Also it spent a good part of the game handing out sweets to kids (not goat kids).

Anonymous said...

hey smiffy remember !

you pays your money you have the right to voice your opinion .

come on admit it, mossley will never die ...no matter which ten bob millionaire wannabe is in control .

and once a fan always a fan ...

ok were going down , but come on we have been lower than this before .

gram77ok over th'ill in oldham

hey smiffy whatever happened to brendan burke , i remember him as a striker for us about 12 year ago ?

Mike Smith said...

Went on to Witton Albion, Southport, Stalybridge and Altrincham. Retired aged only 29 due to serious back injury

Huddo said...

Actually I might be back - I quite liked it up there, although the walk up the hill through the park nearly gave me a heart attack!

I wish I'd got a photo of the goat - he was great!

gram77ok said...

he was a great solid striker burky , i remember him upfront with paul bowler they battered a few centre backs between them