Thursday, July 26, 2007

Beware the Slippery Surface !

An interesting day - which began with the train from Mossley being 10 minutes late - obviously this meant train from Stalybridge to Manchester Piccadilly being late also. On arrival at Picc it was a mad rush for the 0758 train to Cheadle Hulme (stick with me - it gets better). I ran from platform 7 to platform 11 - the doors were closing - my speed meant I'd get through the doors - just ....


But then....it was raining - the platform was slippery - I hit the slippy patch - I ended up sliding on my arse, feet first, towards the door. Now there's a gap between the platform and the train "step" - I slid rather inelegantly into that gap - and the right leg went underneath, catching something sharpish. "Ouch" - I picked myself up, dusted myself down and boarded the train. Success !!!


As we left Piccadilly, I lifted up my right trouser leg to check the "Ouch" - twas slightly more than ouch - the decision was made - get off at Stockport and get up to Stepping Hill A&E asap. As you know, there's always a camera on my person - so those of you with a nervous disposition should turn away - NOW ....





Yes that is rather a "big hole" isn't it !! So a taxi up to A&E - and it was dealt with very quickly and efficiently and I was in work for 1030 !! Sock is totally "totalled" mind !!

Tonight however - it hurts - fortunately it rained a lot giving me ample excuse not to go up to Mossley to check out the trial game - and stay at home with loads of painkiller (of the canned alcoholic variety !).

Yes I can walk - so the weekend should be OK - tommorow after work it's a drive to Stafford to see Mum and Dad for a meal - and then on to Telford - because on Saturday - it's not football - it's TRAIN DRIVING !! Yes, one of my 50th birthday prezzies last December was a Steam Train Driving Course at Telford Steam Railway - which should be a real hoot !! I'll be leaving Mrs Smiffy in charge of the photographs with her trusty Olympus compact digi.


If it hurts now (after several beers) - it'll be interesting to see how it feels tomorrow morning - watch this space.

3 comments:

nosmoking said...

Oh dear hope its better for telford and the train enjoy the day weather permitting

Aaron Flanagan said...

holy fucking crap that made me cringe!

Mike Smith said...

Well if you go back a bit in this mighty blog i.e. to

http://sixtamesides.blogspot.com/2006/10/hill-walking-is-dangerous-for-your.html

you'll see I have this knack of losing blood ....