Thursday, July 26, 2007

Beware the Slippery Surface !

An interesting day - which began with the train from Mossley being 10 minutes late - obviously this meant train from Stalybridge to Manchester Piccadilly being late also. On arrival at Picc it was a mad rush for the 0758 train to Cheadle Hulme (stick with me - it gets better). I ran from platform 7 to platform 11 - the doors were closing - my speed meant I'd get through the doors - just ....


But then....it was raining - the platform was slippery - I hit the slippy patch - I ended up sliding on my arse, feet first, towards the door. Now there's a gap between the platform and the train "step" - I slid rather inelegantly into that gap - and the right leg went underneath, catching something sharpish. "Ouch" - I picked myself up, dusted myself down and boarded the train. Success !!!


As we left Piccadilly, I lifted up my right trouser leg to check the "Ouch" - twas slightly more than ouch - the decision was made - get off at Stockport and get up to Stepping Hill A&E asap. As you know, there's always a camera on my person - so those of you with a nervous disposition should turn away - NOW ....





Yes that is rather a "big hole" isn't it !! So a taxi up to A&E - and it was dealt with very quickly and efficiently and I was in work for 1030 !! Sock is totally "totalled" mind !!

Tonight however - it hurts - fortunately it rained a lot giving me ample excuse not to go up to Mossley to check out the trial game - and stay at home with loads of painkiller (of the canned alcoholic variety !).

Yes I can walk - so the weekend should be OK - tommorow after work it's a drive to Stafford to see Mum and Dad for a meal - and then on to Telford - because on Saturday - it's not football - it's TRAIN DRIVING !! Yes, one of my 50th birthday prezzies last December was a Steam Train Driving Course at Telford Steam Railway - which should be a real hoot !! I'll be leaving Mrs Smiffy in charge of the photographs with her trusty Olympus compact digi.


If it hurts now (after several beers) - it'll be interesting to see how it feels tomorrow morning - watch this space.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh dear hope its better for telford and the train enjoy the day weather permitting

Mike Smith said...

Well if you go back a bit in this mighty blog i.e. to

http://sixtamesides.blogspot.com/2006/10/hill-walking-is-dangerous-for-your.html

you'll see I have this knack of losing blood ....