Saturday, July 21, 2007

Clitheroe v Hyde United

Well I was probably taking a chance today, weather-wise. Left Levenshulme about 0930 this morning, stopping off @ the Wal-Mart in Bradford/Eastlands – don’t know why I was worrying, there were loads of H Potter books. We bought two (see previous thread), together with a load of other stuff (which probably covered their “loss leader” stance on the books !!). One last stop at ASM in Ashton for more varied stuff (Gulab Jamun, Tamarind Paste, a “big” Mango and other such tackle) before home for bacon and eggs and out on the 1157 train. Now the one day in the week I want to go to Manchester Victoria – I end up direct in Manchester Piccadilly from Mossley due to “works on the line” – I always forget that no-one travels at the weekend….still no panic on trains as I comfortably caught the 1300 to Clitheroe.

It was chucking it down all the way – and I suddenly realised I hadn’t checked whether the game was on/off – and I had no phone number on my moby either ! What the hell – one can easily spend an afternoon in Clitheroe – footy or not.

Arrived about 1415 – hotfooted it straight to the “New Inn” – Clitheroe’s real ale mecca. A pint of Phoenix “Arizona” was followed by a hotfoot to Shawbridge where the game was …….on ! Met Royf in the bar and dutifully paid off some long-standing debts (!!) before wandering out – it was still raining, so it was “tea towel over the lens” time (Carlf from Droylsden – how can I ever repay you for this idea !)

The game – it was tight, dare I say “feisty” – maybe not, but was was certainly “meaningful” with both teams going for it. It took a penalty just before half-time to separate the teams (it worked for Droylsden last Tuesday – maybe it’s a Conference thing)- duly despatched by Matthew Tipton (you guys signing him or what ??).

The second half began in a similarly tight way, but as the game went on it was a case of superior this, that and the other (although you could be blooming Chelsea, but a one goal lead is not safe !). Hyde did make it safe late on with a goal from the elegantly coiffured Dale Johnson, who’d come on as a sub in the second half.

Plenty of plusses for both teams – for Clitheroe, Sargie was excellent throughout, and I was rather impressed with the number 7 (Tosin Onibudu I believe ?). For Hyde – Earl Davis looked good at the back, and Tipton was “top on” throughout.

After the game there was no time to hang about – a trip to “Cowman’s” is compulsory on a day out in Clitheroe – they were just closing as I arrived – but the sausages were duly purchased. I had to forgo the pleasures of Byrne’s (more than an off-licence, a wine/beer mecca) – and the lad drinks tea now, so apologies to “Exchange Coffee” !!

Made the 1712 train back to Manchester, changing at Salford for the Piccadilly jump. A quick “2 for a tenner” at HMV Piccadilly (“Life on Mars” soundtrack album and “Urban Hymns” by the Verve which is surprisingly not in this household …). Got the 1912 express to Stalybridge giving me time for a quickie at the Buffet Bar (“Tiger Rut” from Millstone) before the slowcoach train arrived.

And home to find two people reading the two Harry Potter books – and both peeps very close to the end – they’ll be both done by midnight I’m sure.

And on – to this …. some pix of the day ....

http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r272/mossleysmiffy/ClitheroeHyde/
And finally - this little lady covered some ground in the first 45 minutes - up and down the wing on the far side...took at least two of 'em to keep her in check !!

No comments: