Saturday, August 11, 2007

Curzon Ashton v Sheffield FC

The last of the "Six Tame Sides" to be seen this season by yours truly....

But first - 'twas the start of the season for many today - in time-honoured fashion I wandered into Stalybridge Buffet Bar on my way to Curzon today - the Mossley trains were - once again - going Stalybridge --->Piccadilly, thus missing out Ashton. Never mind a couple of beers before catching the "Rail Replacement Bus". The Buffet bar was busy - it contained Kettering fans (@ Stalybridge), FCUM fans (friendly @ Ashton United), and Bradford City fans (@ home to Macclesfield - these guys live in Ashton !). Many chats were had (FCUM Gary - see you later this season) before I got to Ashton and walked over to the "Tameside Stadium" for the 2pm kick-off against Sheffield FC.

Met Colin and little Callum at the ground before watching 45 minutes of "rough house football" from the home team - that just about sums it up. Arms, elbows, and general "non football". Unfortunately Sheffield got into the swing of it and became the "hard done by" side and made rough challenges look like GBH. They didn't need to - they looked a good footballing side - direct and with some good front runners. However it was Curzon who went into the break 2-0 ahead.



One of several "incidents" - no Mickey Norton (9) is NOT being congratulated - he is being held back...

In the bar at half-time - two other Mossley fans turned up saying "There's no-one on the turnstiles - what's going on ?". We advised them that it was half-time and it had been a 2pm kick-off !!!!!

Second half - with Curzon having roughed up Sheffield in the first 45, they then proceeded to play a bit of football - and Sheffield just seemed to capitulate and Curzon eventually ran out 5-1 (6-1 ?? I only take the pix - and I did not count the number of "James Brown" samples !!!) winners.

If you're a Mossley fan - I'd say - "comfy - roll on 21st August" - if I was a Unibond 1 referee I'd say "don't forget to pack your cards" - Mickey Norton is better than that (or so I thought - is he worrying about reaching his "level" - I won't mention Woodley Sports or anything like that of course .... but you know the incident I mean - if you were there) - and he wasn't the only one - just so bloody unnecessary - unless that's the game plan for the season.

So - disappointed with Curzon in a number of ways - if you think that's the way to cope with Unibond 1 - you won't win too many new fans that's for sure - and be honest that's what you need. When you've got your manager - the "mighty gobster" Gary Lowe - telling players to "calm down" (mentioning no names - but Giggs comes to mind) - there's something that needs looking at.

The other problem of course is that with so few supporters the "stupid inane comments" from the stand are so much more easily heard - so to the gobby one - have you ever been kicked on the leg - yes it bloody hurts, and you DO need to go down and "take five" - if you're not sure please make an appointment with me and I'll prove the point) .


See this - I needed to "take five" a couple of weeks ago - actually after this happened, I jumped on the train and was ready to go to work thinking "just a bang" - until I looked underneath the trouser leg. So "gobby man in stand" - engage brain before opening mouth...

Pictures from the game will follow at the following....

http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r272/mossleysmiffy/CurzonSheffield/

I'll put a few tempters in now - with more to follow....

...but then - I'm going down the pub, cus there's no beer (and no Mrs Smiffy) in the house !!

POSTSCRIPT - never made it to the pub - got beer came home sat in garden listening to a "Finland Rock Evening" - Turisas, Lordi and Nightwish - before the rains came. And for "gobby in the stand" - this is how the leg looks now (no doubt you'd have expected me to get up, get back on the pitch and kick some Sheffield guys - I reckon I'm now available !!)

No comments: