Thursday, October 11, 2007

The f2.8 Moment has Arrived !

My good friend Tim from Belper Town - as in http://www.timharrisonphotography.com/NailersAction.html - had put me onto a "possible" on "fleabay" yesterday evening - and at just after 2031 this evening I became the proud owner of a Sigma 70-200 f2.8 - second-hand, not the newer DG version (looking at the picture) - but half the price of a new 'un ! You never know it might even arrive on Saturday morning before me and Mrs Smiffy (and our Michelle - back from her summer working in France and jollies in Spain & Morocco) go down to the mother-in-laws in Belper, and taking in the FA Cup game betwixt Belper Town and Southport - where Tim of course will be "on duty".

I'd run this whole "spending large amounts of money on a piece of glass" (or several pieces of glass !) past Mrs Smiffy a while back - the non-smoking has helped my case (just a few "slips back", but not many) - and the words "Happy Birthday, Happy Christmas, Happy Fathers Day 2008, Happy Anniversary 2008" are now ringing in my ears !!
Obviously a whole new ball game (ha ha !) with a decent lens - but I'm sure I can work it out (probably something along the lines of "don't need ISO 3200 and can probably sneak up to 1/250 for a night game") As I recall, Carl at Droylsden just goes for "shutter priority and be damned !!" I may well compare notes with Tim on Saturday - I remember his first words to me all those months ago at Woodley Sports v Belper Town - a look into the sky and "1/500 should do it for you today". I shall cherish the old 70-300 f4-5.6 though - it will still have a place in my life, I'm sure.

All I can hope for now is some good stuff from the seller (from Guildford) and no sh*t from the posties - much as I support their stance against their "profit/bonus grabbing bosses" - I'd still like to get the goods sometime before 1130 on Saturday morning - because - unlike many - the Belper game is kicking off at 1500 (blame Charlie Clapham/Peter Davenport/Hadyn Preece - allegedly !) so I don't need to leave Mossley until then ...


In the meantime here's a little STS exclusive from Tuesday night ....when I was stood with the "massed ranks" of Gainsborough fans

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

The last 2 STS exclusive photos have been absolute stunners. great work.

Mike Smith said...

Wait until the new glass arrives Aaron - I'll be able to pick out the hairs on your legs !!!!

Good luck "oop north" later today ... give my love to "Chelsea" if you see him ..