Friday, December 05, 2008

Friday the Fifth - A Welcome "Day Off"

.. for several reasons other than "work ---- arrrrgh ---- begone !" - a meeting up at school - followed by a doctor's appointment - I may be virtually smoke free in the smoking zone these days but the drugs are still required (when doing 25/30 fags a day I was getting through a blue(salbutamol) inhaler in 19-21 days - these days they last me the best part of 55+ days - interesting eh what ??).

Doctor's over ... what next ?? I went up to Greenfield to see the new "nearly finished" station - it's 90% there - but the contractors have gone bust !! Checked out the "Railway" as well - Copper Dragon "Golden Pippin" - and Nettie behind the bar said, "How's Michelle doing ??" - our Mich used to work behind the bar there - and it's lovely to know that she's still remembered ...

Back to trains - and down to Stalybridge to get a look at the Conservatory during daylight hours - and a couple of extra pix put onto the "Conservatory Rebuild JAlbum" - see;

My "Day Off" Buffet Conservatory Update

.. then off to Ashton to look at shops and stuff.... I went into Woolworths - my God the vultures were out in some style - I bought a photo frame and a couple of other things, paid up at the counter - and wished the young lady the very best of luck for the future - I felt it was appreciated - and as I walked out of the shop I felt .... awful. These peeps are pretty much "out on their feet" at the moment, knowing they've got till Christmas - at least (at most ?) - yet I got really nice polite service - this was followed by a trip to Ashton HMV - got one of their "cheap books", went to the counter - and the difference in service was noticeable - if the guy had been wearing a name badge it would have said "I Don't Give a F**k" rather than "Jeff" - if anyone from 'HMVLand' is listening/watching - there's some possible recruits from Woolies who could replace the slapdash "staff" you have at your Ashton branch - no please - no thank you - carry on a conversation with someone else while serving me - sorry that's p*ss poor. I do use the Manchester HMV quite often - and they're AOK ( there's even a Dave Grohl lookalike working there - and I'm sure he lives in Stalybridge or near ...) - the Ashton staff have much to learn.

Ranty bit over - I then nipped down to the Topaz cafe as I knew there was a photo exhibition on - only to find it shut at 1500 (twas 1520) - I peeped through the window - only to see Tony (?) who did the "Rock Club" @ Stalybridge Buffet bar - then Glossop - now upstairs @ Stamford in 'Bridge - so after a bit of "jumping about" outside, attention was attracted and I got a quick "sneak in" - some good stuff there as well - and there's more to Topaz than just pix and cafe - check out ..

http://www.topaz-ashton.org/

On the next train to Stalybridge - for a couple of pints of Millstone "Grain Storm" - not been seen for a while - I was told (by the brewer - God I know really important peeps !) that there'd been a shortage of the particular hops required ( I'm sure he said New Zealand) - but it's back and it's lovely and it's probably gone off by now (2130 !!) - back to Mossley - a pint in the Brit and then home.....

.. and yes I've checked the works e-mails - once this morning after the dox appointment - and once tonight - they just don't deserve me do they ???!!??!

And ever the saddo ... here's the pix from today - I'll get me coat ...

Never a day off with a camera in y'pocket !!

Tomorrow - it's the 'booze bus' to Durham to watch Durham City smack Mossley big style - I firmly believe that Durham will win the Unibond 1 North this season - and having said what I've just said (not dissimilar to when Mossley were going to 2nd Placed Bamber Bridge - where they won 2-0 !) - I pray that the Lilywhites will "come up with the goods" once again - I've no intention of doing Roger Whittaker impersonations at 1645 tomorrow (if too young to know what the hell I'm taking about - Google/Wiki it !)
.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Smiffy, not aware of any hops shortage down here in the antipodes. And I'm not aware of hops being a particularly big NZ export earner. Too many airmiles probably! In fact there's a bit of a price war on with local vs imported beer at the moment. Great for the consumer though.....