Saturday, February 16, 2008

Mossley vs Bridlington Town ....

....or should I say "Stalybridge Celtic vs Alfreton Town" ?

....or should I say "Oldham Town vs Chadderton" ??

Go for the latter - more later - we have visitors .....will wait until most are in bed .... !!!


0110 - Well here we are ...but what a silly day - started at 1257 with a quick trip down to Stalybridge on the train to say "Hi" to the boys from Alfreton - a couple of drinks and then back to Mossley on the 1342....arrived Mossley, started up Old Brow (the "1 in 3" option to the ground !) only to meet someone coming down saying "It's off !! It's off !!".

"Eek" - a quick double-check via the beauty of the moby - whilst heading back to the station - confirmed the game had been called off very late due to frozen stuff. So it was back to Stalybridge on the 1357 train - go and check whether my "Guess the Gate" prediction in the Alfreton sweep was anywhere close .... back on the Buffet Bar side - they're all still there - I moan "Mossley game off" - they moan "Ours too !!" ...



All dressed up and nowhere to go - the Alfreton Supporters bus @ Stalybridge today !!! Plus Paul's Tool Emporium in the background - you want it - he's got it !!


Now if I'd have been up at Bower Fold - I may well have caught a 237 bus to Glossop - cus their game was on (but I didn't know this of course !!) - but - I had "Chadderton FC" plumbed into my mobile phone (from the Manky Prem Cup game v Mossley earlier this season !) - I rang - "First Team are away today - at Oldham Town" - RESULT !! Transport was ordered and there was still time for a snifter in their club before the game in the Vodkat League Cup (Quarter Final) ....some pix to be found at

http://s146.photobucket.com/albums/r272/mossleysmiffy/OldhamChaddy2008/

Truth was that Chadderton always had a touch more than the home side - and I'm being heavily diplomatic here I think !! 2-0 up at half-time and the foot seemed to be taken firmly OFF the pedal once the third goal went in not long into the second half. Failed to get a programme (my fault) otherwise I might have got myself organised with some better captions to the pictures - but that's why I'm not a professional y'see !!!

Plus it was bloody freezing - I can understand why some of these games were called off - it wasn't too bad this morning - it must have just got colder at pitch level as the day went on, and the known "dodgy areas" would just freeze immediately. So to those at Stalybridge moaning about the postponement - I don't think putting the covers on last night would have made any difference, the way the weather has gone today - the freeze probably happened between 1100 and 1300 today, hence the late call-off at both Bower Fold AND Seel Park - in fact someone told me that the Crewe game was called off at 1455 - QED on that one from my point of view, but it fits in with my missive above !!

Lift back into Ashton thanks to Ian (another Mossley fan who found his way to Oldham - as did the Mossley Manager Mr Quinn !!) and time to watch a bit of the United/Arsenal game before a train back to Mossley (where I watched rest of first half at the "Brit").

Home - food - visitors - snooze in front of "Donnie Darko" (weird film that one) before getting second wind - i.e. NOW !!
Tomorrow - a walk probably - but fairly local as it's gonna be flipping cold again !!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

"Watch out watch out theres a Nosmo about" I am only a point behind you on the Clitheroe prediction table