Friday, February 15, 2008

The St Valentines day "Massacre"

Well - I'd scabbed the day off work - and with Mrs Smiffy being of the "Educational Persuasion" - it was Half-Term.


A match made in heaven - me having spent Mon/Tue/Wed in work during the warmest time of the day - and enduring two cold footy evenings - I was faced with a bitterly cold St Vals - and when we got to our walking destination - just ouside of Chipping in the Forest of Bowland - not only was it cold, but we also had typhoon-like winds - and the first 1.5 miles of the walk were "straight uphill" ! There is a scribble in my "little notebook that goes everywhere" - it says "Is this the best way to converse ??" - yes I held it to Liz - she laughed !!


Anyroad up we climbed Parlick - and we climbed Higher Snape Fell - coming down the other side we were somewhat shaded from the gales !! A 6 mile walk ended up feeling like a 16 miler - at least it didn't rain...


One grouse - it's allowed, I'm over 50 !! - has anyone else noticed, whilst walking in Lancashire that footpaths can suddenly change from "very well signposted and well defined" to "where the hell are we, where's the stile and surely that should not have barbed wire on it ??" - yes it's down to which landowner you're passing through - and I firmly believe that a high majority of Lancy Landowners are bastards - blocking footpaths - removing signs - ensuring piles of sh*t around stiles - we bought a couple of books in Chipping on our way home - you never know - some of the walks in them may prove my earlier premise wrong - I'd like to think so, but this is NOT the first time we've come up against this "aggressive anti-walker" feeling in the Lancashire area - plus even trying to find the car park - which was a couple of miles out of Chipping - the roads can vary between having a name and going into single-track "tarmacs to nowhere" - it's as if they want neither car owners or even walkers.


Note then - the Post Office Ltd - a de-nationalised buch of tw*ts if ever I saw one - wish to close down the Post Office in Chipping - a great place - we bought our books in the PO - they have an Art Gallery behind it - a "crafty type" area- a very nice place indeed. Local Post Offices need to be kept open - especially in the more sparse areas. I'd normally say immediately, "Help to keep it open" - but the other side of me says, "If it's only used by these miserable landowners - make 'em travel !!" I leave you to weigh up this quandary - I'd like to think the the "shop" would still survive without the PO "salary" - but I may be wrong ..... meanwhile I leave with a couple of low-res piccies from Thursday ....





The GPS "went haywire" part way round - I put this down to American War Satellites......





..and some "broken silvery tree bits" ...not up to Hyde United's "Creepy Tree" ..but ...


Tomorrow - it's Mossley v Bridlington Town - with Brid being "bottom but one" this is a "MUST WIN" game for the Lilywhites - can't really say anything else.....however - if I'm really good for a while tonight/tomorrow morning, I may just get a chance to get down to Stalybridge Station Buffet Bar around 1300 to "check in" with Wozza and the rest of the Alfreton Town Supporters Bus for a quick pint and an "offload" of a quid for the "Guess the Gate" raffle for their game up at Stalybridge Celtic - my first thought - i.e. now (2121 hrs) would be 466......we'll see !!

No comments: