Thursday, November 27, 2008

It's a "No-Midweek Football Week"- Thursday - 1

OK I lied a bit - saw some of the Schalke v City game tonight - but only Benjani's goal (yet to see Stephen Ireland's effort)

But the big news tonight is .... the comedy sketch late on at work tonight - try this .....

Person 1 : " Visitor needs a copy of the database to take back with him today - can you do it ?"

Me (tapping away on pc) : "The database is rather large - 32 Gb in fact "

Person 1 : "And....?"

Me: "We can RAR it to a couple of gig" (for those who dont know - RAR is a "WinZIP equivalent)

Person 1: "Can he have it now then"

Me: "A RAR will take a few hours - we can then put it onto the FTP site for him to pick up - and uploading will also take a while"

Person 1 : "Oh ...."

(Person 1 and Person 2 then go to see my boss - Boss into office to see me)

Boss: " Well ?"

Me: repeat the above ...

Boss: "OK - will tell them exactly what you have told me - and what you told them before" (and because it now comes from the boss - they slink away ....)

This is the sort of comedy hour that is becoming sooooooo prevalent at work these days - when confronted with honesty / fact people then go "one level up" believing this will work - I tell you now there are a number of people working at our place who have COMPLETELY lost my respect for this kind of primary school/playground behaviour - not only that, it insults MY professionalism - I'm not being awkward - I tell it like it is (I've only been working in computers since 1985 - what do I know !!!) - and when people "whine upwards" - they go onto my "total w*nker list" - so that's two more today ........
tomorrow sees our "State of the Nation" speech from Mr Big ..... might be interesting / illuminating / helping towards the decision to buy 1/2/350 lotto tix on Friday....
.

No comments: