Friday, November 07, 2008

Todd Rundgren @ Manchester Academy

A wonderful gig - I could leave it at that but I won't - after an "interesting" support from Eugene Francis Jr (without his Juniors), Todd came on at about 2115 with ... Kasim on keyboards and guitar, Rachel Haden on bass, Prairie Prince (?) on drums and Jesse Gress on guitar - he was one tasty guitarist - don't think he changed guitar all night and he was getting all sorts out of it - a great lookalike for Brian (aka "Bruised Fruit") from "Still Crazy" !! Him and Todd "duelling" worked really really well...

A few golden oldies to warm us up (inc "Love in Action", "Black Maria"and - believe it or not "I Saw the Light" !!) was followed by the new album "Arena" in its entirety ! Brilliant (especially love "Mad", "Strike" and "Gun" - but all top) !! Finished with some more memorables - the solo at the end of "Just One Victory" brought the tear to the eye...pictures are absolute pants I'm afraid - looks like the "old reliable" Fuji has outlived its usefulness at gigs - we'll see how it copes with Airbourne on Saturday mind .... anyway see what you make of these ...








and a bonus "soundless vid" - hopefully ....



... tomorrow (eek today) - Sophocles @ Royal Exchange - well not the man himself (he died in 406 BC apparently !!!)

... and then Airbourne 24 hours later .....

PS - My earlier review of "Arena" is at
http://sixtamesides.blogspot.com/2008/10/todd-rundren-arena.html

UPDATE - Monday 10Nov08 @1950 hrs - this is getting crazy - this blog normally gets 50 hits a day - mostly from football (i.e. soccer) fans - since this post went on we're hitting 150+ a day - I need to give you guys more .... wait on ......

UPDATE - Monday 10Nov08 @ 2025 GMT - try a spot the difference game - one pic I took several months ago - one I took several mins ago ...

the old...



and the new ....



.. carpet still filthy !!

If I look through several thousand photo albums - I'll find some real (yes real) pics of Todd & Utopia @ Knebworth in 1976 ? (they played "Ra") or 1979 - I was many miles from the stage (and reality) mind !!! Bear with me they may show up one day .....
.

5 comments:

Vonny said...

Hi Mike

Agree 100% with you - Todd rocks!! Great to see him perform "Love in action" and "I saw the light". Love Arena too.

Anonymous said...

Thanks for the review Mike, I agree too, it was a fantastic night, got quite emotional as I always do during "Just One Victory" - should Obama have used this as a victory song??

Gone back to listen to 'Arena' on the strength of last night and loving it!

Anonymous said...

Spot the difference - aside from the obvious - have you lost Something/Anything?

Mike Smith said...

Something?Anything still in the house somewhere !!! Did you spot the "Todd Prod" additions viz "Bat out of Hell" and "L" ??

Anonymous said...

Hi I was at Knebworth second week prob in the same state, and yes it was 1979, and he did a great lead up to the New Barbarians, who were crap, and got boohed loads if I remember right, glad they went and Zep came on.
Still remember Todd though very well.
Saw him first at the venue in london in 77, or 78? doing hermit