Monday, March 17, 2008

Doug Peacock - RIP

Learned today that Doug Peacock has died after a short illness at the age of 66. It's probably not a name known to many of the "young 'uns" - but he worked for a good many years for the Manchester Evening News during what I would consider were the "Good Old Days" - by that I mean:

- Doug Peacock was THE non-league correspondent - 6 days a week;

- We had a Sporting Pink at about 6-15pm every Saturday;

- It contained loads of non-league stuff - and I mean loads.

It's going back somewhat - but I believe we did meet a few times in the 80s - I'm pretty sure he would not have been that impressed with the non-league coverage by the MEN these days - all this fawning over FC United in the actual paper by the Mathieson / Brennan / Glennon triumvirate. Furthermore just take a look at the MEN web-site and the link actually says "FC United/Non-League" - click on it and it's 90% of 'yes you've guessed it'....

No doubt people "in the biz" like Mike Pavasovic from Hyde United or Tony Bugby from the "Chron" will be a little more eloquent about Mr Peacock than myself - in fact I'd hope for something in the "Chron" and on the "wireless" this Friday....!!

In the meantime - RIP Doug, and my condolences to his wife, son and daughter.

No comments: