Thursday, December 08, 2011

Just for a Change ... an Album Review ...



... got my hands on a copy of "Imaginaerium" by NightWish today (cheers Dunc !!). I've always been a bit of a fan of this "symphonic metal" style of music (especially NightWish and Within Temptation - Lacuna Coil have a bit of a go at it as well).

I'll be honest - "Dark Passion Play" (NightWish previous album) passed me by - so this was the first time I'd heard the 'new' vocalist Annette Olzon - who replaced Tarja Turunen. First thoughts (have only listened once while cooking tea - we're now transferring "Time Honoured Ghosts" by Barclay James Harvest from 12" vinyl to computer to CD !!) are ... very good. Don't think she's as classically trained as Tarja or Sharon den Ardel (Within Temptation) - more like Christina Scabbia - Lacuna Coil - "more raw" if you like.

The album itself - quite eclectic if you like - some good heavy tracks a la "Once" ("Rest Calm" for example) - but also some different stuff as well - a touch of jazz ("Slow Love Slow"), a touch of Irish ("I Want my Tears Back"/"Turn Loose the Mermaids") - and a big finish at the end (the 13 minute "Song of Myself").

A few more listens required - but sounds promising so far ...
.

No comments: