Sunday, February 03, 2013

Mossley v Salford City

Flippin' heck ... it was COLD !!! And that was 0730 in the morning - still, kept moving, kept pushing letters through freezing cold metal letterboxes (after opening freezing cold metal gates), and got finished in good time to get home for some "exotic lunch" (Mrs Smiffy had been into Ashton and brought back some a rather nice Spicy Lamb Arabic Wrap from CafeMozaic - so filling in fact that we didn't bother with tea later !!).

Anyway - up the road to Seel Park to see how rusty the footballers were after the weather-enforced break.  Mossley gave a debut to new signings Chris Denham and Russ Saunders - t'other newbie Tyron Sealey was on the bench.  The home team dominated the first 45 minutes but could only put the ball in the net twice whilst conceding a rather freaky equaliser.  The second half was much more even - and Salford managed an equaliser.  Despite a lot of pressure in the last quarter of the game however, Mossley were unable to fashion a winner ... probably a case of two points lost I'm afraid !  Some pictures at 

Mossley 2 Salford City 2

Any hopes of a prolonged "Skelmersdale blip" (after their 1-4 trouncing at Burscough in midweek) were probably kyboshed at about 1505hrs when Curzon 'keeper Josh Ollerenshaw was shown the red card (wonder if Ben Richardson took over between the sticks - SUNDAY NIGHT EDIT - Yep - he's confirmed it on Facebook !!) - it finished 6-1 to Skem - eek !!  However the other "contenders" - New Mills ended up on the wrong end of a 1-5 trouncing at home to Bamber Bridge - the Millers also ended up with 10 men after Leon Grandison was dismissed.  Trafford and Clitheroe also contrived to lose ... so maybe in the end it was a point gained ??  Hyde slipped up 1-2 at Woking they've got to be careful not to slip back into the relegation mire after all their hard work before Christmas, especially with teams like Stockport and Barrow putting together results.  Stalybridge travelled to that well-known northern team Bishops Stortford (!) and came back with a hard-earned 0-0 draw. Droylsden however slipped up at another one of those "northern teams" - i.e. Histon - going down 1-3.  Finally Ashton United managed a late equaliser to draw 2-2 at Matlock Town.

Weather going cold again next week - also the "snow word" has been mentioned ... will probably head for Curzon Ashton tomorrow night for their League Cup game against Burscough who  - fresh from their trouncing of Skelmersdale last midweek - managed to lose to a 90th minute goal yesterday at home to Harrogate RA.

No comments: