Sunday, May 13, 2012

Some Sunday Slide Guitar Thoughts ...

... well it's different !  Actually it all began yesterday afternoon when listening to the "eclectic music box" down in the "Britannia" in Mossley (apres cricket !), when "Stormy May Day" from AC/DC came on - now I know young (!!!) Angus Young is not a renowned slidemeister, but he does a pretty good job on that track.  Fast forward to now - down in the kitchen prepping some tea - actually sorting out the meat sauce for one of my bastardized pastitsio recipes (can let it rot over the afternoon - tastes much better then).  Listening to Seasick Steve on the old music machine got me thinking - who are the best slide guitarists around/alive/dead etc ???  Early scribbles (on the recipe sheet no less) have come up with the following (and I've tried to put them in my personal order) ...






George Thorogood
Rory Gallagher
Seasick Steve
Joe Walsh
Leo Kottke
Billy Gibbons (ZZ Top)
Gary Rossington (Lynyrd Skynyrd)

Obviously there's dozens more (older readers may say "Where's Elmore James ?" - just not heard enough of same - OK "Dust my Broom" but ...).  There are other "odd tracks" I could think of as well  - "My Sweet Lord" by George Harrison; "Statesboro Blues" by Pat Travers (yes - prefer the Pat Travers version to that by Duane Allman - cue more howls of anguish from the purists !!) - and so on and so on ...

Time to turn that sauce off - what to do this afternoon ??
.

No comments: